Yachts are often seen as a symbol of wealth and luxury, and it’s not surprising that they are a popular possession among the world’s super-rich. But who actually owns the most yachts in the world? Let’s take a look at some of the most notable yacht owners and find out.
- Roman Abramovich: The Russian oligarch and owner of Chelsea football club is known for his love of yachts. He currently owns a fleet of yachts, including the 533-foot Eclipse, which is the second-largest yacht in the world.
- Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan: The President of the United Arab Emirates and Emir of Abu Dhabi is also a keen yachtsman. He owns the Azzam, which is currently the largest yacht in the world, measuring 590 feet in length.
- David Geffen: The American media mogul and philanthropist is another avid yacht collector. He owns the 454-foot Rising Sun, which was originally built for Larry Ellison, the founder of Oracle.
- Paul Allen: The co-founder of Microsoft was also a keen yacht enthusiast. He owned several yachts, including the 414-foot Octopus, which was one of the largest yachts in the world before his death in 2018.
- Mohammed bin Salman: The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia is another notable yacht owner. He is reported to own the Serene, which measures 440 feet in length and features a variety of luxurious amenities, including two helipads and an underwater observation room.
- Larry Ellison: Although he no longer owns the Rising Sun, Larry Ellison is still a well-known yachtsman. He currently owns the 288-foot Musashi, which features a sleek and modern design.
- Ernesto Bertarelli: The Swiss billionaire is the former owner of the America’s Cup sailing team and also owns a fleet of yachts. His most notable yacht is the 318-foot Vava II, which features a unique design inspired by traditional sailing vessels.
- Andrey Melnichenko: The Russian billionaire and philanthropist is known for his love of yachts and owns the 468-foot A, which features a distinctive design with a sloping hull and modernist interior.
- David and Frederick Barclay: The British businessmen and owners of the Daily Telegraph newspaper are also yacht enthusiasts. They own the 197-foot Lady Beatrice, which was built in 1967 and features a classic, retro design.
- Nasser Al-Kharafi: The late Kuwaiti billionaire was a well-known yacht owner and owned the 405-foot Lady Moura, which was one of the largest yachts in the world at the time of its launch in 1990.
While there are certainly many other wealthy individuals who own yachts, these ten individuals are some of the most well-known and have some of the most impressive yachts in the world. Whether used for personal pleasure or business purposes, these vessels represent a significant investment and a symbol of luxury and status.